Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tornado in Brooklyn?

My kids were having their usual cross country practice in Prospect Park.  As the sky was quickly turning grey a few parents were getting a little antsy.  I was not looking forward to getting wet but I was mentally prepared for it. The kids cam jogging back and I thought that it was good timing.  We had our bikes and would be home (less than a mile away) in a few minutes.

My daughter wanted some water so I sent her to the fountain.

But then the coach did not look so calm.  She was out on the long meadow and had a better view of the sky.  "Go home, everybody just go home".

I told my daughter to get on her bike to go to the fountain and back.  Then my son got back and I stopped her and said.  We can get water on the way home.  Lets go.

I don't know what it was, maybe instinct, but we did not stop for water.  I had the kids ride as fast as they could and we made it home within minutes of the "storm".

We live on the 4th floor of a brick 6 story building.  All our windows face brick walls, from 20 to 50 feet away.  It never rains in.  Till today.  It looked like the water was blowing off the roof and into our window.  Scroll down to see what it did to our bathroom.


Union St and 8th Ave




I am on the 4th floor and the bathroom window is about 20 feed from another building.  Look at the mess that blew in through the screen.




The video was made about 4 blocks away.

18 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you made it home before the storm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you and yours made it home safely. I saw the sky turn green and the heavens open at work. It was pretty from the under the scafolding in the dry area looking out at the wet area but probably scary to be in the middle of it. A lady with 2 kids came to into our vestibule and both kids were crying. Security guard asked them to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Smokes! That is scary! I'm so glad that you and the kids made it home in time. Sorry for the mess, but, wow, it could have been a lot worse. Was anyone hurt? How much damage was done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that security guard never has the pleasure of having children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in Oklahoma, so tornadoes were scary, but common. In NYC on the other hand, no thank you sir, WAY to much debris with which to impale your soft hide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sooooo glad I missed this. Thanks, by the way, for telling me about it and for getting me out of that boring meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. take it easy guys! its not like its a double rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you are OK.

    It appears from the video that tornadoes make people repeat expletives over and over and makes them use slacker-speak:
    "It's funneling, dude!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you look at the YouTube comments, it is all about Hipster bashing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. did you see that crazy footage?

    http://tornadoinbrooklyn.blogspot.com/2010/09/tornado-in-brooklyn-2010-september-16th.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, PSP.

    Did you look at the bottom of the blog you just commented on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That was quite an event, a tornado in Brooklyn! Glad you and the kids got home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adi left the same comment on my blog. I googled the sentence, word for word and found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear blog owner, I found You searching the spamming activity of Adi.His comment is highly injurious, and means :f...the Jehova followers,the mormons and the atheists.He posted the same on my blog, but i discovered the ISP he used and also called his boss, a Dutch based in Romania.He uses the company network to spamm hundreds of blogs all over the world.You can make a complaint on the wordpress platform,his blog being this:http://adrianarvunescu.wordpress.com/
    Sorry for this comment, but I try to stop this.

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive